July 2016 – GERMANY – Police say up to 12 other people were injured in the blast in Ansbach, near Nuremberg, three of them critically. Ansbach’s mayor Carda Seidel said the inferno was caused by an explosive device. The horrifying incident occurred at 10.30 pm local time at Eugen’s Weinstube in the city’s old town. The man has been killed is the suicide bomber and the explosive device he was carrying went off accidentally, according to police.
Unconfirmed reports state nearby homes have been evacuated. The man has been killed is the suicide bomber and the explosive device he was carrying went off accidentally, according to police. Unconfirmed reports state nearby homes have been evacuated. he nearby Ansbach Open Music Festival has been cancelled as a result of the blast, with around 2,500 people rushed to safety. Unconfirmed reports claim a man with a rucksack was denied entry to the festival shortly before the explosion ripped through the popular night spot. The attack took place just three miles away from a US military base, which is home to the 12th Combat Aviation Brigade.
A spokesman for the Bavarian interior minister Joachim Herrmann said the explosion was a “deliberate” act rather than an accident. He said: “At present we assume it is not an accident.” Heavily armed police are at the scene and officers have cordoned off the area around the wine bar. A helicopter was seen hovering overhead and rescue workers are on hand to recover any further victims. Police spokesman Michael Konrad said: “The only thing I know is that there has been an explosion, I cannot confirm anything else.” Initial reports suggested it may have been a gas explosion, but it now appears there was a more sinister motive. –Express UK
Bomber said to be a Syrian: A man who blew himself up and injured 12 people after being turned away from an open-air music festival was a 27-year-old Syrian who had been denied asylum, Bavaria’s top security official said early Monday. “We don’t know if this man planned on suicide or if he had the intention of killing others,” Bavarian interior minister Joachim Herrmann said.
He added that the man’s request for asylum was rejected a year ago, but he was allowed to remain in Germany on account of the situation in Syria. Three of the 12 victims suffered serious injuries, Herrmann said. –Big Story